Two things have struck me this week in a way that has gripped me. I tend to assume that in these last 4 months that I've acclamated to how different cultures can be, and then I get reminders that leave me uncomfortable (for a multitude of reasons). This particular uncomfortable isn't good nor bad, its just different. The contemplative type.
Most folks here have fenced in property, and thus a gate. People here don't trust each other, and are very protective of what belongings they can acquire, so locks and gates are a big deal. One of the doors to our gate broke off the hinge a few days ago and its been a source of unrest and fear b/c it couldn't be locked at night. Friends showed up early Saturday to get the door down, repaired, and back up before nightfall - and it was as impressive as the Amish building a barn! OK, well, not quite, but still impressive. They used whatever pipes and metal they could find and made this fanstic door. It doesn't match the other, which will drive me crazy, but they don't care - aestheics (yet again) aren't important to them. Nor should they be. Why do I still care what sunglasses I buy to replace my broken ones, if my flipflops relatively match my pants, and that I've worn the same earrings for almost 4 months straight? Not that they themselves have chose this freedom from "stuff", but I have now (more and more, hopefully!) and its amazing how unstressful and wonderful it is. I have simplified life, but I still long for it to be simpler. I see myself as spoiled, and I'm uncomfortable with that.
The second is an experience while out with our Arsenic survey team - Simmet and Dtoeun - and is compounded by what I just shared. They're determing if wells are safe to use, and educating about arsenic. Most wells are not safe, and most people listen and take our card in a sort of numb politeness - we've just told them you can't use your water, go find it elsewhere. In talking to 2 ladies - neighbors - one became very verbal and agitated, yelling that I had money b/c I'm from America and that I should run piped water from the city out to their village. I kept my composure but looked down at my notes, and she continued on that she wanted me to take her small child with me so he wouldn't get sick, which inevitably he will be if they continue to use their water pump. My heart ripped and it was all I could muster to hold back tears. The other lady just sat there, holding the water test results in her hand, and her face said it all - what will we do. All of the solutions require money, which was obvious they didn't have. Fear of arsenicosis, desperation from lack of money... I had to excuse myself and walk back to where the pump was to "look at it" and compose myself. Life's not fair, yes. But I just looked at it in the eyes... and it hurt. I can still see their faces, and that uncomfortable-ness is a new driving force.
No comments:
Post a Comment