Wednesday, April 27

Its funny how the smallest things, when heard or realized at the right time, can cause such an epiphany that you feel foolish for never having realized it previously. That was me a few days ago.

Sitting on the floor at the village's weekly Sunday gathering, I was listening to the many many prayer requests and praises being shared. Someone had a sick child, someone's child is acting up, one lady's cow is sick and they need it to be healthy so they can sell it, on man's coworker is sick... very very practical and urgent things to them. And I wondered why I never really had many prayer requests. At first I said its because I don't know all the words in Khmer and I'd get stuck and embarrassed, but its more than that. For example, this week I went to the dentist because one of my teeth is a little sensitive lately. Did I think to pray for that? No, because I can take care of it myself. How many things do those of us who aren't poor handle on our own because we can? How blessed to be able to take every single petition you have to your creator because you know He cares and you’re fully aware you need him for everything. Cambodians know their limits, failures, and inadequacies so much more than any others I've met. No money for cold medicines, no money for a vet visit, no money for a doctor’s copay. And I felt sorry for myself for a minute in light of their awareness versus mine – I don’t know what its like to truly depend on Him, and I'm embarrassed to say I pray as a 2nd, 3rd, or last option sometimes. I say I depend on God, but not with the transparency that they do. Maybe for the first time I envy the people I’m around. I get it – blessed are the poor...

No comments:

Post a Comment