First staff meeting today! There were 7 Cambodian department heads (department being a relative term :) ) plus 3 American staff, and 3 long-term volunteers. I officially feel like part of our Team. I had to smile to myself b/c staff meetings are such a foreign concept to them. They like to speak about themselves and take part, but when it comes to listening to others I could tell they were less interested. Which is a cultural thing – they do not take an interest in others b/c in the 70s, 80s, and 90s neighbors, family members, and coworkers were the ones that turned each other in to the Khmer Rouge. Trust and compassion don't really exist here; everyone looks out for themselves. They're the friendliest, most playful people you'll ever meet, but I'm not sure they'd go to bat for each other...
Anywho, I got a brief description of what everyone does, and my own purpose was verified - that I'll be locating what villages we haven't been to or that still have needs, lining up materials and staff/volunteers to go present water quality information, allow for them to purchase water filters, inquire about interest in the other issues we address – rope pumps, arsenic testing, rainwater collection tanks, medical teams, dental clinics, health lessons in schools, and storying – and then schedule and line those up! The goal is consistent presence for 30 months. My first thought? We need more people...
I can't think about how many villages there are – one at a time. If it was a task I could humanly accomplish, I would be able to take all the credit. Just like everything, any success is just my willingness paired with the strength that my Father gives.
Sadly, I can relate to some of my staff meetings! :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE having the opportunity to read your blog! I think of you guys often.
ReplyDeleteLC