Thursday was a holiday!!! International Human Rights Day, or something like that. I was still up early... with the chickens... and we endured the 13 km to town for some grocery shopping and errands.
I'm constantly impressed with the organized chaos that is the city streets. Bikes, pedestrians, people pushing carts, big trucks, SUVs all merging and converging with no rhyme or reason. And there's no road rage. Fantastic.
I had the best pizza of my life for lunch at The Pizza Company, picked up a cushion for one of my bamboo chairs, and spent over $60 on 20 items like peanut butter, cereal, juice, toilet paper, tea bags... You can get just about anything... but it'll cost ya!
I was also in search of something Christmas-y even though I know Cambodians don't celebrate Christmas (even the Christians). At all. No songs or parades or family dinners or presents. Not even a wives tale about a character like St Nick. They've never even heard of it! I asked someone on my street if they ever did small presents and their response? Why would I spend money on things we don't need? Great question. I've thought about this all day...
As I was picking out a bike helmet I spotted tinsel at a street vender. Hooray! I paid quite a bit for my tacky tinsel, but its now officially Christmas in the tropics! I put it up as soon as I got home while blaring Christmas music, with an audience of 4 Cambodians. They think its the funniest thing they've ever seen. What do you think?
Personally, I would have difficulty getting rid of my Americanized traditions, but it does stop and make you wonder, doesn't it? :)
ReplyDeleteWhat they don't realize is that they do need CHRISTmas... not the misc. presents, but The Gift God gave to all the world! Keep blaring that music as long as you can!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, LOVE the tinsel! :)
ReplyDelete